Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11

Since today is the 6th anniversary of 9/11 and the first time it's been back on a Tuesday the radio and TV stations have been going nuts. Andy and I have been talking about it and realized that our memories of that day are as clear as if the events transpired in the last week. It's amazing how we have trouble pinpointing what we did during the day six years ago, but we can remember every detail of September 11th. I remember that my Dad had gotten food poisoning the night before and he and my Mom were at the hospital and I was home with all of my siblings. There were some guys there installing new cabinets and counter tops in our kitchen and I was sewing. I had the radio on and heard the announcers saying a plane had accidentally hit the World Trade Center and turned the TV on in time to witness the second plane in real time. We all sat on the couch and watched TV the rest of the day, having trouble comprehending that terrorists had the audacity to attack us on our own soil. The workmen in our house spent as much time watching TV with us as they did installing things, and only charged my parents for half of the time they were there. Mom and Dad didn't even know anything had happened for about an hour because the hospital staff was trying to keep people calm and they didn't have a TV on in their room.

The gaping holes in New York, the Pentagon and a Pennsylvania field united our country in a way it had not seem since Pearl Harbor and the start of WWII for us. It's amazing how single-minded we were then and now the backstabbing that is being perpetrated by politicians today. How can people stand the weaseling and finger pointing and forget what was done to us? I believe our country is too soft and is rapidly sliding into the diffident, self importance exhibited by Europe. I'm so disgusted with both parties that it almost makes me want to not vote, but if we all do that the wrong people will be elected and our country will be a disaster. So, I will hold my nose, vote, and pray that we will be able to draw our country back from the brink before it's too late and God allows us to be wiped off the map because of our decadent society.

1 comment:

Lee Nickles said...

Hey Beth - I hear you. Do vote (and I'm assuming I'll have to hold my nose as well).

Remember that no earthly nation has the promise of permanence, and that Christianity began and grew under pagan Rome! Yet there IS a kingdom that is eternal, built on a foundation that can never be shaken. Have hope - Christ has overcome the world.