Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Singing

There are two activities that I hope to instill a love of in my boys. Reading books, which they have seem to have mastered, and loving music and singing. I love singing and miss singing in the church choir so much, but between not having the lung capacity for it while pregnant and dealing with little ones it just hasn't fit in my schedule again. Instead I've settled for singing to the boys while pregnant and with them young. They both have their favorites and sometimes will only settle down for one particular song. Since my Dad sang to us all the time when I was little, my repertiore mostly consists of hymns, spirituals and old folk songs but we all love it. Now, if I don't have music going Caleb points at the CD player and says please until I turn something on. Our favorite background CD is Beethoven piano music, but we listen to anything and everything from an awesome jazz Christian musician my brothers gave us from New Orleans, to Latin music. I love just putting music on and dancing around the room holding my boys. They love it as much as I do. All of this to say most of y'all are musicians and share the same love for music that I have, but if you aren't... try to instill a love of music in your children so that they don't miss out on a beautiful part of life.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Beth, it is definitely a great thing to instill the love of music in your boys!! All 3 of my big boys, LOVE to sing. The older 2 have participated in a children's choir several times and have performed for both big and small groups - they especially enjoyed the big groups. I will try to post a clip of Aidan singing sometime.

K. Humby said...

I completely agree!!! I will try to keep up the singing, but I just CANT remember any of the words... especially now that I rarely sing hymns... :( I would love to get the name of the artist to whom you were referring??? One more thing... I will hopefully be getting DSL at our new place come Monday;so, we will have to attempt to chat via Skype then. Sorry to put it off.