Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Grandparents

Caleb does not speak English, that is to say he talks all the time, but in his own very expressive language. To the point that when Andy imitates him and doesn't get a sound just right, Caleb will sometimes look at him as if to say, Dad that was terribly inappropriate, how could you say that? lol There have been distingishable words like Mama, Dada, ball, tar (car) food, wa-er (water) etc.m, but it's been a very basic vocabulary. The last few months he's been gaining more of an English vocabulary. This was very obvious at Thanksgiving when he finally called all of my brothers and sisters by name. The funniest part was that my Mom's poodle also got a name and Caleb was fascinated by him. Pip-pi (Pippin) the dog is always tied to Pop-pop (my Dad).

It's really funny that the grandparents spent awhile picking out what they wanted to be called when Caleb was first born and now have completely different names. My Mom was Grandma, my Dad-Grandpa, Andy's Mom- Grammy and Andy's Dad-Pops. My parents really didn't care what they were called and just went standard to begin with. Mom changed first, we could tell that the way Caleb said things she was going to become Mam-ma and she couldn't stand that so she is now Nana and loves it. Dad became Pop-pop, which when you think about it is reasonable from Grandpa. Andy's Dad is currently E, from Deke which is what family was jokingly calling him last time we were there, it stuck so he's Deke. Andy's Mom is now Mimi, neither Andy and I could really get out Grammy, kept saying Granny or Gammy and Caleb finally just went with Mimi. She doesn't know it yet, because Caleb has only said it while pointing at pictures. I think she will be thrilled just to have a name. :D

3 comments:

Kelley said...

Greta's grandparents have also picked out names. Who knows if they will stick. I hope they do though cause I like them. My mom is Mimi and my dad is Grandaddy. Graham's mom is Oma and his dad is Grandpa.

Rachel said...

I think I got this right - Mam-ma and Pop-pop; E and Mimi:) I really like them and the names for each set of grandparents match nicely contrary to mine and Kelleys. My parents are Grandma and Grandaddy and Patrick's parents are Nana and Grandad. It took me a while to get that straight and the boys still mix it up sometimes:O
WTG, Caleb learning to speak "true" English and how cute that he gave Andy a weird look when Daddy pronounced "his" unique language incorrectly.

Beth said...

Nana, Pop-pop, E and Mimi. :) My Mom hates Mam-ma, not sure why. lol Considering Andy and I are so traditional and classic in our tastes, Caleb didn't pick classic names. :)